Saturday, November 29, 2008

pies for the open-door mission

My mom has this tradition of making pies for the local open-door mission. In the past we've done this as a Relief Society activity, but this year they weren't interested in doing it and neither were the young women so some of our great branch members came over and we got busy. Crystal and Sister Hayes peeled and cut more than 100 apples.

Mom and Valerie made and rolled out the pie crusts.

I am in awe of people who can make really pretty pies. Mom is the expert!

The result was 21 pies: 6 pumpkin and the rest were apple! I'm sure the mission didn't use them all at their Thanksgiving feast but I hope they'll feed people for weeks to come.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Tell your mom that I am seriously impressed with her pies! They should be in a magazine!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the mission used the pies within a day or so of the Thanksgiving dinner because they do provide three meals a day, every day, to the homeless. What didn't get eaten at the dinner surely were eaten as leftovers.
And Marisa...I thought your pies for our dinner on Friday were as pretty as any I made, and delicious as well. Your rolls were perfect, even rivaling Grandma Ruth's, which are the standard of roll perfection.