Thursday, June 26, 2008
Antietam and Gettysburg
On our way across the country we stopped at a couple of Civil War battlefields.
I was really moved by Antietam. It might have been because it is simpler than Gettysburg; there are less monuments and less ground to cover. I also feel like at Antietam, we were able to take our time and reflect on what happened.
It might have also been because we went to Antietam on a Friday evening and we were some of the only people there. We went to Gettysburg on a Saturday morning! It was packed; these are the pictures from Antietam.
What ever it was, I loved the quiet of the fields. I was particularly moved by the feeling there; I swear you can feel the death on Bloody Lane. Nathan said that there are many ghost encounters here, which is no surprise considering how many people died here.
It was great having Nathan with me because he could tell me the history behind every battlefield and monument. If you don't know about the Irish Brigade, you should read about them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Did you have any ghostly encounters? I was looking at your photos trying to see if there were any ghosts lurking.
I don't think so, but it was pretty creepy
I am so jealous! I would love to go. In fact, I think that the school should pay for me to go...after all, how can I teach about things I've never seen!?
Post a Comment