Thursday, May 8, 2008

control freak teacher

There is a certain teacher at my school who thinks it is her job to police all the other teachers. Examples from people other than me:
*She caught one of my friend's students in the hall way and announced, "I found this doll wandering the hall without a hall pass. What are YOU going to do about it?"
*She ran into a classroom, while a teacher was teaching, to yell at the students who were talking/ goofing off.
*She's been known to storm into a classroom, where a teacher is in control, and take away any students who she thinks are being less than perfect.

Hopefully, you get the idea that this woman is a total control freak who thinks that she is the only competent teacher in the whole school.

If she reprimands me one more time for being a crappy teacher, I think that I am going to yell, "THE KIDS ALL HATE YOU AND YOU TEACH A STUPID SUBJECT IN A STUPID WAY!!!!"

That would probably be overkill but I am so sick of her.

Here are her latest tirades:

FIRST she barges into my first period (while I'm teaching) to ask me if Z. was tardy to 7th yesterday. I told her I'd check my records; I saw that he was not marked late, to which she answered, "Actually, I know he was tardy because he was in my room when the 7th period bell rang and I told him to go to class but he said he didn't know what his class was, so I sent him down to the office. He never showed up down there, so I'm just telling you that he WAS tardy." Why didn't she just say, "Hey Z. sluffed your class by hanging out in my class 7th period, so make sure that you marked him tardy"? Would that have been so difficult? I guess it would be; that would have required her to help me without making me feel like a child. She is such an uber-witch! She could have also just minded her own business instead of going out of her way to make me feel like a crappy teacher with no record keeping skills. Again, I think this is asking too much of her.

THEN...
She storms in during my lunch break to say "I caught B. and some other students wandering the hall and they told me they were bringing their things into your room." I said, "Yep, they do that." She said, "Well, they are not supposed to leave the lunchroom so you cannot allow them up here." I basically said, "Huh, interesting." If students leave lunch to drop their things up here, then end up doing homework or chatting quietly, I am not going to report them to the office for skipping that all too important class, LUNCH! She sent them to the office and gave me a lecture on lunchroom protocol and how they MUST not be out of the lunchroom during this time. Do I look like a hall monitor?

I hate that woman. I hate her with a burning passion.

Of course this whole thing happened while Courtney is out of town so I have no one to vent to. GRRR! Now all of you have to read my vent.

7 comments:

Annie M. said...

I think we all work with someone like that, unfortunately. That is so annoying though. I got annoyed just reading that. Luckily for you, you only have to deal with her for a few more weeks. I will have to tell you about the woman who I call the wicked witch of the west, and no, it's not the one you're thinking about.

Anonymous said...

So this totally off topic - but I've been wanting to say . . . CONGRATULATIONS on getting a job in Vermont! I'm so excited that things are falling into place.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that all of this had to happen while I couldn't be there with you :) Did you win anything yet? Are we trading?
And PS, are you ever afraid of the kids or another teacher finding this?

Anonymous said...

Courtney has a good point when she asks if you are afraid of students or other teachers seeing your blog...you never know who will read these things.
If this is an ongoing problem, is there anyone who actually has some authority that you can report this to? If you were to write a report of these incidents in an unemotional, rational way, perhaps you could let the principal or other responsible person know about this teacher's unacceptable and intrusive behavior. Usually I am an advocate of dealing with an offending person directly, but it does not sound as if it would do any good in this case. Anyway, the school year is almost over and then you will not have to deal with her anymore.

marisalea said...

I posted to Courtney that there is little way for any student/ teacher to find this, unless I give them my address. You can't find my blog by googling my name, the school name, the or anything else. Also, I did not use any names. I would tell someone but it is just one of those things that the whole school accepts. She does this to EVERYONE. She did it almost daily to the resource teachers last year. She's nuts.

FYI: She barged in AGAIN in first period today to 1. yell at my students for not being adequately respectful during the national anthem (although they were silent and standing still), 2. inform me that Z. was again sluffing my class yesterday (like I didn't notice) and inform me that he was in ISS today (as if the administrators didn't tell me). Seriously, she's nuts.

Anonymous said...

I think you should stand up to her as I know you can. In a polite way the next time she comes to you, just tell her that your are busy if you are teaching a class and that she can meet with you during your free period or after school. Make her wait until you are ready. Do not let here set the time.

So much for dad's advice.

Anna said...

Yikes!! How can the school just put up with her acting that way? I think you should do as you Mom suggested and leave a complaint against her, even if it's annonymous. Her behavior is ridiculous!