Friday, May 2, 2008

funny story of the day

So, Kelly W. came over to have lunch with me today during my lunch break. I love that she lives so close and that she can come hang out. My students love it too, especially some of the 8th grade boys who think she's pretty hot. Anyway, she wanted to have one last lunch with me before she rejoins the working masses. (By the way...Kelly got a great job making lots of money and everyone should congratulate her.)

As I was heating up my soup in one of the other teacher's classrooms, some students came in. They were talking to the other teacher but then they came over and were chatting with us. Two of the students I've seen around, but I only have one of them in class. One of the students who I do not have in class pointed to Kelly and asked me, "Is this your daughter?" I was like, "Yeah, I had her when I was 2!" Then the girl said, "Sorry, she looks like she's 19 or something." To which I responded, "Oh, so I had her when I was 7!!!" Her friends were dying laughing and I was appalled. Kelly had a good laugh too. Usually people say we look like sisters, but mother/daughter? People also frequently ask who is older. I guess that it is painfully obvious that I am the old one.

Not so long ago (the summer before my mission) I was on the plane in an exit row when the stewardess asked me how old I was. I answered, "21." She said, "Oh good, because you have to be 14 to sit in an exit row." At parent-teacher conferences at the beginning of the year one of my students parents asked, "How old are you, because you look like one of my children."

I guess it's safe to say that I look like I am somewhere between the ages of 14 and 41.

3 comments:

Annie M. said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard right now. I know what you mean though. The other day at work a lady saw a picture of Taylor and asked me if she was my neice and I said, "No, she's my daugher." and she said, "Oh, you don't look old enough to have a child!" to which I told her that I am indeed old enough- I will be 30 soon. But then a few years ago my old roommate Shanna and I were getting our hair cut and someone asked me if she was my daughter. She is only 2 years younger than I am. Hmm.

Nickie said...

I love it when people think I'm younger than I am, it's nice that I can still pull that off. What I hate is when people ask you if you're pregnant and you're not. Yeah, that's a nice feeling, why don't they just say, "Hey, Nick, you're looking fat-not 'ph' phat either, just the regular FAT!"
Then I would kick 'em...not that that's ever happened...
bye

Nickie said...

By the way, I love splicing commas I do it all the time cuz I love it love it love it.
splice