Happy Mothers' Day to all the great moms out there! I am so thankful to have so many wonderful moms who impact my life and the lives of children I love.
I am thankful to all my sisters and sisters-in-law for being the best possible mothers. I am thankful that they are raising my nieces and nephews, who are not only cute, but amazingly intelligent. Thanks Annie, Karen, Michelle, Rachelle, Angela, and Nickie! I hope that I can be 1/2 the mother that all of you are; you're an inspiration!
I am thankful for my grandmas who are incredible women. Grandma Ruth has been a great support to me ever sense my freshman year. She's made me countless meals, given me countless hugs, and given me a place to hide out countless times. I always think of Grandma Ruth when I hear these lyrics, "To Mercy House we came, over and over again. Tell her where we've been, 'Do you think you could take us in?' The answer is always the same." She's always there for all the members of her enormous family. I also love my Grandma Bedell; even when she was far away, she was willing to help me create whatever I asked her to. Before they moved to Utah, Grandma sent me extensive quilt patterns and cloth for practicing, just because I mentioned that I might want to try quilting. For my wedding she made a beautiful quilt that will be a keepsake forever, along with the many perfectly-fabricated crafts she's make throughout the years.
I am also so thankful to have a kind and supportive mother-in-law. Cathy is the opposite of every stupid mother-in-law joke out there. She is so patient! How could she have survived Nathan otherwise? She is also so kind and she constantly seeks out opportunities to serve others; she serves tirelessly in her ward and in the family. Cathy is also slow to anger, even when her feelings are hurt, she never takes her frustration out on her family. I love her.
Lastly, I am thankful for my mom. The older I get, the more I love her and all she has done and continues to do for me. My mother and I have both always worried that we were too much like each other; being mother and daughter it was easy for us to see our faults in the other. Now, I pray that I can be more like her. She's always worked at a profession she loves, but she never let her motherly-duties slide. She made us dinner every night, kept the house clean, planned Family Home Evening (complete with treats), attended school functions, and made us all feel loved and important. I'm pretty sure she's Superwoman. Now that she's a grandma she grows a garden, works full time, makes Halloween costumes, runs, and enjoys the lake. She does more now than I think I'll ever be able to. She is the wife and mother I want to be. I find myself thinking at least once a day, "How did she do it all? I can't find enough time and we don't even have kids yet." Somehow she did it all and I love her for it. I can't wait to move home and learn all the things I missed the first time around.
3 comments:
Yes - your mother is amazing and a true inspiration. I've been thinking of her a lot over these past couple of months as I've been working on this photography thing . . . And I've asked Daniel multiple times - How did your mom do all this? With 5 kids? Thanks Leanne, for your great example.
Yeah, the nights that I have classes I just plan on not making dinner. Mom would have made a casserole in advance and put it in the fridge. She rocks! I am so glad to be done, I feel like a better wife already.
I know, I was talking to mom the other day about how she hated mother's day talks at church because they always said "the perfect mother does this and that and that" and I told her for what it's worth, I think she is the perfect mom. I don't know how she did or does it all either- and yes, with 5 kids! Whoa. Talk about amazing.
Post a Comment