Friday, March 7, 2008
drama in the 8th grade
So... just a few minutes ago, I was teaching 4th period and drama erupted. I had just finished reading a short story aloud to the class and they were to read another short story silently. I was circling the classroom and noticed that one of my students (everyone's favorite Christian soldier) was writing on a paper instead of reading. When kids are doing things that are distracting to their learning, I take away the distracting object and give it back after class. So I took away this kid's planner. I said, "I'm taking this away." He yelled, "IT'S MY PLANNER!" I continued to tell him that I was taking it away because it is a distraction. He freaked out! He called me a B***** and loudly screamed some other choice words. The class was in shock. I was pissed so I told him to get out and with shaking hands, I wrote a referral. I met him in the hallway to talk with him about his behavior. He told me that he is trying to be a better student in school (thus the planner) and that I am making it so he can't. I He continued freaking out and told me that I am soo mean and that I am always singling him out, "Everyone else gets 100 warnings and I only get one." I asked him, "Didn't I kick another student out of class today? Don't I get after many other kids in this class?" He couldn't deny that I am "mean" to all the students. I told him that he needs to talk to me when he is feeling angry and upset at me. He was being all attitude and tough until he started to cry. I had mostly calmed down and I was using my nice voice with him so I told him that we could make a deal. I ripped up the referral and he has to talk to me the next time he gets this angry at me again. I told him that I cannot deal with him when he yells and swears and that I know this is not him. He was crying really hard by this point so I told him to clean himself up and come back to class when he was ready. I hope I did the right thing. I felt like if I just wrote him up he would just keep on getting madder and madder at me and have another blow up. I need to call his parents, who, I'm sure, will have some nice words for me too. Ah, born-again Christian fury. I need more deep breathes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am not sure how you do it Ria. I think you did the right thing though. Just think back to when we were in 8th grade- it wasn't that long ago, was it? Longer for me of course.... but just think of the raging hormones, the stupidity, and how we were all just trying to get by. I think he will appreciate your kindness. If not now, then in a few years for sure.
There's just nothing quite as fun as a bit of middle school drama. Especially if it includes children screaming profanities at you. Great day!
Marisa, I think you did exactly the right thing! And I thought it was only the girls who caused such drama in 8th grade! Good for you, you'll have to let me know what happened when you called his parents! And, you need to see us before you leave, you'd better call!
Post a Comment